Murhapummit tulloo, Murder Hobos Come!

Hello, You fine RPG-playing folks there!


The Murder Hobo tro(u)pe in RPGs

As some of you, fine people, may know, to some people a murder hobo-playing style in roleplaying games is "the thing". Or at least, a meaningful style in the genre. And, to my own amazement, to some good people out there, it is the only "true" style to play.

To those people who are not familiar with the term, I open it up a bit. There really isn't a 100% consensus on what murder hobo style really is. But in any way you put it, it essentially means playing in the (aggressive) manner where looting and killing innocent people is a primal way to "interact" with the gaming world. 

So basically, the classic murder hobo style is gaming world equivalent to the style of Christopher Columbus and other conquistadors and how they reacted to other people in the real world on their "adventures". Not in so morally or ethically good way. And nothing cool about it, in my honest opinion.

And it just gets even worse when you dip into the fantasy gaming world where those innocent victims of murder and thievery sprees, are basically racially stereotyped races, that have their counterparts in our real world. Yup, I do not find racism, exploits and exploiting, killing, and robbing as interesting material to use in real life or either in the gaming world.


The last time I was seriously playing a simple all-guns/bows blazing kind of game(s), was when I was like... in my very early twenties. After that, not so much play that kind of thingies, outside of the Paranoia or Over the Edge 1st/2nd edition. Then not serious at all.

This whole "This style belongs to D&D"/"This is an RPG thing" isn't my experience. Not at all. To me, that kind of action has been more of a Hero Quest, Dungeon!, Warhammer, WH40K, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, and Talisman kind of thing. And not even in those dungeon loot board games and in miniature battle game circles, it hasn't been, the main style to play. This honestly is my experience.

And yes, I've been playing basically my whole life, so it is not a lack of experience. Even when I was in my mother's tummy, when she was on a game table, I was really proactive even then. So I have more than 41 years of experience in gaming. And yes, I've been playing a whole lotta (A)D&D, Traveller, Star Wars (WEG, D6), RuneQuest, etc.. and I've been also in many kinds of playing groups.

No, this is not, either, an attack against murder hobo-loving gaming groups. And I know to some folks out there, that playing style, is a Great Deal of their RPG experience. It is just not The Thing in my wide circles of RPG hobby peeps... And I know I am not the only one who experiences this way.

Keep on Playing the games you love, the way You love to play them!

Kommentit

Suosituimpia blogeja (blogin koko ajalta)

Aappena päätti kisavuotensa komiasti Bullfarmilla!!!!

The World's First-Ever Take the Edge is out NOW!

Cyberpunk movies to inspire your genre gaming (plus some gaming stuff, too!)

Kotona leppäämässä tuaas